Thursday, July 26, 2007

Fund Card on Valueresearchonline website

I noticed a new feature on http://www.valueresearchonline.com. It is Fund Card. Goto to the "Mutual Funds" and select any Mutual Fund of your Choice from the list on the first page. On the right side of "Relative Performance " there is a BIG Adobe PDF Icon which says "Download Fundcard". Click on that and you get a Fund Card of the Fund you are looking at.

Its a great tool to analyze the fund in which you want to invest. Provides good summary of returns over a period. Some charts to understand performance. History of expense ratio. Expense ratio is something I have started looking recently. I guess it makes lot of sense to read this kind of stuff once in a while to understand what your fund or fund manager is doing !

With my personal experience so far(last 2 years) ..I would recommend following way to Invest in MFs

  • Invest in few Equity Diversified Funds only
  • Do not expect great returns always !
  • Do Invest rather than just saving the money(I will blog more on this!)
  • Track your portfolio every 3-6 monhs
  • Create a Net worth Statement & do update it every month(check out Build your own net worth calculator)
  • Do not over-diversify(i.e. do not try to invest in too many funds)
  • Understand your objectives of investing in Equity very well
  • Do book profits if you need too !
  • Do not book profits if you don't know what you will do with that money !
  • Read blogs on Equity Investing !! - My favorites I will post later
  • the list go on ....
I started investing very late in Equity & regret that time lost. Look at this handy Calculator to understand how you can benefit from compounding in long-term.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the fund card is indeed useful; it gives you a lot of info!assuming one wants to do a "reverse search"--look out for all the Value/Large cap funds(Equity) in the market, can u suggest a search engine ,rather than studying all the fund details?
Regards

Anonymous said...

I am referring valueresearchonline, and my suggestions is not to go by their star rating, i had invested in hdfc tax saver and prudence funds looking at the 5 star rating, but the performance was very bad especially since last 1.5 yrs,

Valueresearchonline reduced the ratings for these funds just this month (i wrote to them, but i dont claim that they followed my advice)

so i doubt the credibility of ratings

Sandeep said...

I guess more than having doubt in the credit rating from Valueresearchonline, its the timing that matters. I think need to catch up a lot in order to provide better and timely ratings! ..but we can't complain much as it is a FREE service :)